[pct-l] Pocketmail

We learned about Pocketmail on the PCT. Then we used it on the CDT and AT to
record journals. Originally we were using it to keep in touch with family
and friends who were concerned about the remoteness of the CDT. The list of
people who wanted a copy of our daily journal grew until we passed the
thresholds (25 email addresses, I think) imposed by Pocketmail.

We used the Sharp on the CDT and the Composer on the AT. There were several
places on the CDT where the Sharp would not work with the phones. I think it
was a user and/or telco issue. Some telcos didn't want us to use the 800
number we tried to use. We have never had that problem with the newer
composer. You just walk up to a phone, dial the number printed on the back
of the device, hold it up to the phone, and upload/download emails.

To answer your questions:
1) we found it quite effective. No spell checker, so the typos we took
credit for. Really no problems except what I said above.

2) yes, it retrieves emails. No attachements or graphics though. That's
good. It can take a long time to download/upload lots of long messages.
Fallingwater will probably reply to tell you about getting cold waiting for
the downloads. :)

3) the keyboard is pretty small. we reverted to 2 finger typing. Another
issues was trying to type after dark. We found we had to tip the backlit
screen down toward the keys to continue our 2 fingered typing.

4) not sure about a cheaper source for the hardware. You might try a google
search for the Sharp TM-20. that is the original hardware. The service is
provided by  Pocketmail. Think of it as a specialized ISP who proviced
email. You can get the service cheaper by subscribing for longer periods of
time (like a year). Pocketmail recently  offered a year for $120 to us.

Ken
http://home.pacbell.net/kdpo