[pct-l] re: looking for a trail partner

I think loose partnerships work best for thru-hikes.
> It is very hard for committed couples or friends to
> hike together for 4 plus months, never mind complete
> strangers! :-)

My girlfriend and I started near Lassen, heading south for a 75 day section
hike.  Hiking up Gibralter Ridge on steep snow she slipped and started to
slide downhill toward a stand of trees.  With nary a moment hesitation I
leapt after her and we slid to a stop, mostly because both of were digging
in our boots while I held on to her.

We continued up the ridge, baby steps, shaking and oh so careful, and on the
south facing side - no snow.  We stopped for a moment, hugged, and both of
us broke into tears.  We stood hugging each other, saying how much we loved
each other, crying for a couple minutes.

Just north of Desolation Wilderness we agreed not to drink more than one cup
of coffee in the morning.  We were sitting around in the sun, debating,
arguing, laughing and getting intense.  We seldom left camp before 10AM.

My favorite memory is listening to her talk as we walked.  Her voice got
higher than normal, and had an elflike, or innocent quality to it I found
totally beguiling.  I watched her calves go from straight and smooth to
muscular.  Each day was filled with the sight and sound of her as I followed
her down the trail.

We played and made love and argued and laughed and made more love for 300
miles before I blew out my knee.  While I choose to hike alone at least once
a year, I can't think of a better situation to deepen and solidify a
relationship, or reveal the seeds of dissolution than being together 24/7.
Momentum to be real gets more and more intense and present.

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY