[pct-l] re: looking for a trail partner

>>I am planning a thru hike, south to north, starting
>>May 5, 2004.  I'm a 55  year old male. I plan on
>>ulra-light hiking about 20 miles per day.

Rather than seeking a partner ahead of time, have you
thought of finding a partner on the trail?

It is very difficult to find someone who has your same
hiking pace, style of hiking, etc. etc. for a weekend
trip, never mind for four plus months.

You may want go on the trail and hike. You will
shortly meet some great people who match your pace of
20MPD, your style (frequent town visits? long breaks?
getting into town early? etc.), etc. What is nice
about finding a partner on the trail is that if you
find this partner is no longer quite your pace and
style, you will meet someone else who *IS* more to
your mode of hiking.

I think loose partnerships work best for thru-hikes.
It is very hard for committed couples or friends to
hike together for 4 plus months, never mind complete
strangers! :-)

Best of luck in whatever your plans are!

Mags

ps. on a related side-note, I experienced first-hand
how difficult it can be to hike with a partner.
Went on a hut trip with the girlfriend this past
weekend. (Log cabin, fireplace, beautiful setting, etc
in the Colorado backcountry). Two miles from parking
lot to hut. Little elevation gain. Well, the weather
became really nasty, visibilty dropped, and the wind
was biting. And this was just in the parking lot!
Oh yes..did I mention that she grew up in Florida, she
has never been on a winter overnight trip before, and
this was only her second winter. :-) Long story
short..nerves were frayed, words were said, and I am
stopping by the flower shop tonight...
Imagine 4 months of that? On the PCT would be
difficult to say "see ya Monday" with a partner you
are commited to hiking with for four months. (And not
many flower shops along the trail to say "sorry". :D)

=====
--Thoreau