[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 10

Alex
I'm the leave it on constantly, full featured GPS type.

My purpose in doing this is to help with maintenace of the PCT here in the
Southern California region. I've compiled a National Geographic TOPO! region
which we use to locate and plan maintenace projects. I've also supplied data
to one GIS project for the Table Mountain - Anza region. I also have much of
this data in ExpertGPS GPX format.

The unit I'm now using is a Garmin GPSmap76S, it has all the bells and
whistles, decent battery life, and a large easy to read screen for us
visually challenged folks!

If your new to GPS I'd reccomend a Garmin Etrex Summit as a low end selling
for about $190 new and $100 to $160 used on ebay, next would be a Etrex
Vista (the summit with mapping, you'll need the Mapsource TOPO cd about
$100)  $250 new $220 to $138 used on ebay both these units feature a
barometric altimeter and electronic compass both of which can be used alone
or with the GPS.

Regards
Matt