[pct-l] Hitching

"Randy Forsland" wrote:

>But you haven't really lived until you ride with Donna Saufley..She drove
>me
>from the Ranger Station to Agua Dulce last year and was probably averaging
>80+ mph through the twisties...She assured me that she took this route to
>work every day and could drive it blindfolded..That helped to loosen my
>death grip on the door handle a bit..but after a month of hiking at 2-3
>mph,
>I felt like we had made the jump to light speed..everything was just a
>blur...I noticed that it takes a while to re-adjust to car speeds after you
>return to civilization. I was constantly being flashed by cars behind me to
>speed it up a bit...took a week or so to get back into my normal lead
>footed
>ways..
>
>Redwood

During my thru hike in 1994 I had the pleasure of meeting Milt Kinney in
Castella, a year or two before he passed away.  He showed up at the Post
Office no more than five minutes after we arrived, as was his norm. He kept
a constant vigil, waiting for the thru hikers. One person in our group
needed new boots. (Pre-Jardine day style of hiking) Milt drove us to a gear
shop in Shasta.  They knew him well as he came in there all the time with
hikers.  It was not exactly a "hitch hiked" ride, but could fall in the
category of "yogi-ing":)  no offense to "yogi."  Milt was in his 80s, wore
"coke bottle" glasses and drove very slowly down I-5 in order to keep
between the lines.   The slow speed (and uneven swerving) was more
frightening than a fast ride, with cars whizzing by and gesturing with some
of their...... Still I feel fortunate to have met Milt, a PCT legacy.  Our
friend got her new boots and we got some good restaurant food.  Milt loved
to sit and talk.

Nowhere Man

Phil

Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx