[pct-l] Question about Boiling Lake

"Why is it green"

I have to confess that Boiling Lake  is the only thermal spot I haven't visted in Lassen, but I would suspect that like all the rest, it has a strong sulphur oder (i.e. stink) which is hydrogen sulfide. It's been awhile since high school chemistry, but I believe when hydrogen sulfide bubbles through the water, it creates sulphuric acid. If there is copper present in the rocks, the acid will react to form copper sulphate which will give the lake a green tint. Most of the other Lassen sites are red from iron. In other words, the thermal sites look spectular, but they are large producers of very toxic chemicals.

Dave