From: "Duane Steiner" <dhstein31@yahoo.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 9:28 AM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Hitching

> On my first BP and PCT adventure 4 yeas ago- I injured my knee - being
fat, ill prepared, and bringing the kitchen sink contributed to injury.
Dog, friend and I tried to thumb it betwen Little Grass Valley Lake through
Quincy to Belden to catch up to our car shuttle..  We had quite the
adventure.  On our first ride we squeezed into  anti enviromnetalist LOGGING
truck.  He drove about  60 mph on roads that are not meant for anywhere near
that speed telling us the whole time to jump out if he tells us too -
because he brakes go out often and informing us if which corners his cousin
died on.

> Our next ride was after a hot walk through quincy was a TILE GUY with post
it notes all over his dash with phases like "be nice to your customer",
"count to ten", "listen",  "don't get mad" - obviously this man had some
anger issues but seemed pretty sane to us.

> The last ride was after being ignored for miles on very ht pavement was a
gentleman who after we were in the car offered us some POT --- after a week
on the trail -I guess we looked like we needed a lift- I was tempted but
declined BUT we did arrive in Belden before the rest of our group got
here  ------ After having that miserable of a time I ironically AM HOOKED on
Backpacking and ALWAYS pick up hitchhikers.