[pct-l] Recipes

Whenever I can (which is "spotty" at best on the PCT) I like to incorporate
fresh veggies . I can hear the gasps already from the ultra light crowd.  My
hiking and life partner "Walking Carrot" took her name on the AT because on
that trail we never walked without carrots.

Carrots are great trail food they hold up well for a number of days and
don't get bruised.  Great to snack on raw, cut and lightly boil in any
pasta, rice, ramen or soup dish, shred (with your victronox (sp?) classic
swiss army knife) onto instant mashed potatoes and (if you have the olive
oil and extra fuel) to sauté lightly for all of the above.
mmmmm...sauté..Garlic!

Garlic in all of the same dinner uses.  Garlic will hold up for a number of
days and packs a lot of flavor for its weight.  Onions travel OK, but they
are heavy and do start to "sweat" after a few days.  Some veggies that are
OK for the first day or two (after that they deteriorate quickly) - Peppers,
Zucchini, Mushrooms, Celery.  They are heavy so you will want to use a lot
(all) of them in the first couple days.  Dice them up raw, toss in olive oil
and little balsamic vinegar and you have a nice salad (albeit without the
lettuce) For the deluxe salad, through in some peanuts and a few chunks of
hard cheese and maybe some salami.  Good to eat while you're waiting for
dinner to cook.

Since we travel as a couple we can afford the weight of a separate pot or
Tupperware to do this.  But you can also use a large Ziploc bag to make your
"composed" salad.

In larger towns you can buy the pitted Kalamata Olives in the deli section.
Drain the liquid, put the plastic tub in a Ziploc and the olives are good
for two or three days for salad, or to toss in pasta and sun dried tomatoes.
Or just to snack on.

Nowhere Man

>From: "Rebecca Emily Selling" <res46@cornell.edu>
>To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>Subject: [pct-l] Recipes
>Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:01:05 -0500 (EST)
>
>Hi PCTers,
>     I'm busy planning a 2004 almost-thru-hike and I have been thinking a
>lot about what I am going to eat on the trail.  I thought it would be
>a good idea to poll that masses and see what everyone else found to
>eat, liked eating, etc.  So, I would love it if you folks could send
>me your favorite backcountry recipe (or 2, or 3).  I'm looking for
>ideas for all the meals, and have no dietary restrictions whatsoever.
>Ideally I am looking for lightweight, nutritious, easy to find and not
>too expensive foods.  I'm doing a send-along-the-way resupply method,
>so my diet will be dictated a lot by what I can find in resupply
>towns.  I thought I would compile all the recipes I get into a nice
>document and then send it out to the whole lost, for everyone to
>enjoy.  Thanks a million!
>Cheers,
>Becky

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to
what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world,
miracles happen." - Henry David Thoreau

Phil Hough
PO Box 393
Sagle, ID 83860
(208) 255-2780
nowhere_man97@hotmail.com

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx