[pct-l] New trail angels at Lake Arrowhead

Hello, 2004 PCT hikers.  Greetings from Bruce and Carol Wagner in Lake
Arrowhead, CA.  What do you need?  Mailing services?  Hot bath?  Laundry?
Lunch?  Local transportation?  Perhaps we can assist.  We're a bit familiar
with your situation when you get this far . Carol's brother, Carl, did the
Trail in 1977 (ADZ Webmaster, Carl Siechert).  I have a bit of
mountaineering experience, too; Muir Trail in 1957, Mt. Rainier in '72, and
several of California's 14K peaks.  We expect to be home in the Lake
Arrowhead area during much of the "season" for PCT hikers trekking through
our area.

As you may have noticed from your maps, we are a one-day (tough) or two-day
(easy) hike west of Big Bear, in the San Bernardino National Forest.  The
recent fire in our area (the Old Fire) has resulted in many parts of our
National Forest being closed.  For access to the Lake Arrowhead area check
with the Forest Service closer to the time of your hike.  We'll then be able
to provide good directions (and possibly a lift) to our place or other
desired destinations.  The Lake Arrowhead area has many convenient services:
supermarkets, pharmacies, post office, fast food or fine-dining restaurants,
hardware stores, etc.  Find the west end of Hook Creek Road on your maps
(Cedar Glen).  Our place is about half way around, above the northwest
corner of the lake.

So, if you'd like to avail yourself of some local hospitality, call us from
Big Bear and let us know when you'll be in our area and inquire about what
we can offer.  That will largely depend upon whether we are home and the
volume of requests received.  Please do not assume that leaving a voicemail
will assure you of a shower or laundry facilities!  We've hosted a few PCT
hikers over the years.  They've been enjoyable visits and we hope that some
of you might be able to drop in.

Bruce and Carol Wagner
909-337-5570
909-336-8468 - Cell