[pct-l] Knees

I have never had much problems with my knees. But once on the PCT, in Lassen
Park, I started out as usual one morning and got about 1/4 mile when an
excruciating pain shot through my right knee. I thought it was a fluke and continued
walking. Then another sharp pain that me shout. So I grabbed a walking stick
and tried again. Once again a very sharp pain. It seemed to happen not when
the knee was bent, but when it was rigidly straight. I wrapped it in an elastic
bandage and that worked wonders. I was afraid to walk without the elastic
bandage for several days, but when I removed it the pain was gone for the rest of
the hike. There was no swelling involved. On very rare occasions I get that
same shooting pain and always when my knee is locked with weight on it. I never
go hiking now without an elastic bandage