[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 20

Hi Dep

We only encountered ticks in one area that was on the climb after leaving
Aqua Dulce when I had 7 on me and my wife Gail had 8. That was May 13th.
Last year, the first time I found the mosquitoes a nuisance was at Devils
Postpile on 16th June. I first used my Repel 200 just after Glen Aulin on
June 20th, the day after leaving Tuolomne Meadows. We carried bug hats but
only used them twice - 30th June by Miller Creek (mile 1117) and then the
night of 13th July at  Twin Lakes in Lassen Park (mile 1355) where the bugs
were really bothersome even in the morning when it was only 39 degrees F. We
used the stuff on some other occasions up until Cascade Locks (27 August).
Then we got rid of it.
We found the ants were often more of a nuisance especially if some got in
your boots while you had them off at a break then decided they did not like
your feet squashing them to the sides of the boots as you started hiking
again!

Alistair

> Message: 12
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:32:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: scott deputy <oz4130@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] ticks, skeeters and other itch producing bugs
> To: dude <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>
> I know some are deet free but I am still using the stuff.
> My question:
>
> When or where(assuming a typical thru hike pace)  on the trail do bugs of
this kind begin to show themselves, I would like to leave out the deet and
no seeum netting until they are necessary.