[pct-l] Mt. Whitney and the White Mountains

Ref: "With the wonders of GPS, this isn't as true as it once was. A few
years
ago an expedition left a GPS unit on top of Everest and returned the
following year to retrieve it. That way they got a year's worth of
measurements. I don't know if anybody has done the same with Mt.
Whitney."

TAKE A HIKE, YOU DOUBTERS!

There are people living in Bishop who believe that nearby White Mountain
is higher than Mt. Whitney. Mt. Whitney couldn't be as high 'cause it
can't even be seen, being it's south and down around the bend from
Bishop. Mt. Whitney had been fairly accurately surveyed earlier, and I
remember its elevation was 14,496 feet (rounded off). But in May-June
1996 Robert Nielsen and some other surveying engineering students at CA
State University at Fresno used modern GPS equipment to accurately
measure the elevations of four of California's highest summits. (I'm
just learning about this now! From "Go tell it on the mountain: Whitney
is tallest", Reno Gazette-Journal, 23 Nov 2003.) Well, among the White
Mtn. and Whitney surveys there were also Mt. Williamson and North
Palisade, and an unexpected result came out of the measurements: Mt.
Whitney is difinitely the highest, and gained four feet - it now stands
at (rounded off) 14,450 feet. Mt. Williamson is 14,382.3 feet high and
North Palisade is 14,255.9 feet high. But White Mountain is 14,243.2
feet high, and has grown a foot since my last climb, according to my
memory of its survey disk. The interesting things is that North Pal has
displaced White Mountain as the third highest in California, since it
grew a whopping 15 or 20 feet! And now White Mountain has slipped to the
22nd highest mountain in the lower 48 states. No wonder this info hasn't
been seen in print in the local Inyo Register newspaper!
Campy
Central California Trail Coordinator
"Home of the High Sierra Trail Gorillas"
Pacific Crest Trail Association
Bishop CA Tel.: 760-872-2338
Email: tap "Reply"

See photos from our recent High Sierra trail project:
http://www.trailprojects.com/dif_log030920.html

"Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!"