From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Duane Steiner
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 5:58 PM
To: Bighummel@aol.com
Cc: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Fwd: Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area closed

Not only is the park closed but some of the PCT through the park and most of
the area West of the park will be impassable or very dangerous because of
the Fall wild fires. We day hiked that section just after the XMAS
mudslides and the trail was barely discernable in many of the canyons and
passes and with this weeks rain it will get worse.
I have been assisting the PCTA trail maintenance and they have chosen to
maintain areas in less critical locations ie. crossing deep creek at the
spillway and then just East of Cajon Mt (that will hopefully change when
they do their week long maintenance camp at Mormon Rocks). IMO the trail
needs to be rerouted through Millers Canyon and then up to the Ridge to
Cajon mountain and then down to the McD's. This would keep the trail out of
most of the burn areas, into the timber and up on a ridge where there
presently are dirt roads but would increase the length and elevation gain of
the trail.
As for the closure of the state park I honestly am surprised they have any
staff for enforcement. I drive by there once a week and the signs are up
that it is closed and the mud has not been removed from the entrance but I
never see any rangers patroling.

Duane
Bighummel@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 2/19/2004 4:45:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, info@pcta.org