[pct-l] Fwd: Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area closed

On 04.02.19, Bighummel@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 2/19/2004 4:45:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, info@pcta.org
> writes:
> I just received a call from a hiker who said the Silverwood Lake State
> Recreation Area is closed and that she was hiking the PCT this past weekend in the
> area.  A park person approached a hiker in front of her and said they all had
> to leave because the park is closed.
>
> I have sent this information to Mike and hopefully we can get more specifics.

	I'll monger a rumor.  According to the Forest Service ranger
at the Lytle Creek Ranger Station to whom I talked last weekend (while
getting a new California Campfire Permit and Golden Eagle pass),
Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area is closed, but PCT hikers can
hike through it.  Of course, the SRA isn't in the FS ranger's
jurisdiction, so you have to take this with a grain of salt.

	Regarding the Silverwood Lake SRA's closure, the Victor Valley
Daily Press had an article on its website last Wednesday that says
that the park hopes to reopen the campground and Cleghorn areas in
mid-April, and the Sawpit area by the end of May.  Day use fees will
double, starting in July.

	Leading in the VV Daily Press article, local businesses are
suffering from the closure.  Lynda's Silverwood Ranch House, on Hwy
138 in Summit Valley, has gone out of business due to the lack of
customers.  The Silverwood Lake Country Store is still in business,
but may go bust if the SRA doesn't reopen soon.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers