[pct-l] Hiking Solo

    Before I head to the Frozen North in Minnesota for some dog-sledding on Saturday, I thought I'd put in my two cents worth on the above topic.  I've always been a very independent person and done lots of stuff on my own, and backpacking is no exception.
    Eight years ago, a friend called and asked if I'd like to hike the Oregon section of the P.C.T. with her (to celebrate her 50th year).  As I would turn 60 that year, I thought it would be a great way for us both to celebrate, so I readily agreed.   I had never done any long-distance backing before, but I'd been a distance runner for nearly 20 years and was in great shape.
    To make a long story short, there were many wonderful aspects to the trip, but my friend developed multiple equipment problems which I felt could have been averted by more careful planning.  The upshoot was she went home with her friend that was to re-supply us near Timberline Lodge.  I had counted on her help in crossing the difficult rivers on the flank of Mt. Hood.  In a great huff I picked my re-supply box and headed north.  Fortunately, I got help from others with the river crossings (which I could not have done on my own).
    In conclusion, having someone along can certainly be a plus as far as logistics go, and it is nice to compare notes at the end of the day (or at a pre-determined lunch spot).  However, I have since found that, in general, I prefer hiking solo with an occasional venture with someone else.  I really enjoy the freedom of adhering to my own schedule, or diverting from it as desired.
    I'm on an 11-year quest of the P.C.T.  I go out for two weeks at a time (approximately 150 miles) twice a year.  I currently have about 900 miles (3 years) to go.  In 2006 I plan to stand on the top of Mt. Whitney on my way to the "finish line" at Whitney Portal.

So long,
Jane Dods AKA T.O.B. (Tough Old Broad)