[pct-l] Alcohol explodes...

Goforth said:
I have always considered the alcohol stove design to be the safest and the
fuel to be the least difficult to carry, use and handle.  I thought that
alcohol was a non explosive fuel.

-Well, i tought that too!  The thing is i tried lots of designs for a pepsi
can stove before finding the ''photon stove'' on the net.  One of those
designs actually exploded in my kitchen and broke the pepsi can in 2 ( it
wasn't well glued either..).  Since the flame is invisible in daylight, it
took me a few seconds to realise what was burning, in that case my hand!!

So my advice would be to test your homemade stoves carefully, in the dark or
almost.  And NEVER trust alcohol to be extinguished, sometimes a VERY small
flame might be hidden.

Mike also said:
I've never used an alcohol stove before. Nor have I seen one used.

-I'm still surprised what you can do with a can!!  Today i cooked dinner in
windy -10F weather in a pinch with my homemade stove ( and a good
windscreen..)!  Not harder to prime than my MSR whisperlite and about 100
times cheaper and more reliable.  Forget the fancy stuff, but who would wnat
to by fancy when your freezing your but anyway?

Have fun!
-franc

http://messenger.fr.msn.ca/