[pct-l] Tent Poles...

I was wondering if anyone knew what (& where) the best material is for fabricating tent poles.....  I think most folks use aluminum, but what size and type??  (1/4" dia.?  6061 T6 material?)  Is there a place I can order tube stock (or actual poles) for tent poles?  Is it hard to bend your own poles?  Will they bend when put into use??

Is there any special procedure for sewing onto the compression straps on my backpack?  What about sewing the Syl-Nylon?  Can you use a regular ol' sewing machine?

Thanks....again!!  :-)