[pct-l] Why do you hike solo?

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:45, Linda Jeffers wrote:
> What was your thinking behind deciding to hike solo?

The easy answer is that I don't have to worry about anyone else -
matching paces, making decisions about when & where to camp, etc. But
it's not necessarily easy. Nights can be awfully long, especially in the
colder months, and even though it is exhilarating, it can be lonely -
but one can be lonely in a crowd or at a party.

On a deeper level, it is a chance to come face to face with oneself.
When I'm out there by myself, there is no BS - I own it all, good, bad,
and indifferent. No one to blame, no one to be a crutch. Along with the
total freedom comes total responsibility, and while sobering, it is one
source of exhilaration.

Jim McEver