[pct-l] Bull with an attitude

I know what I'm supposed to do regarding bears (bear cannister and a wrist rocket).
I know what I'm supposed to do regarding mountain lions (wrist rocket and a smaller, slower companion).
But I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to do regarding a pissed-off bull.
3 of us were hiking yesterday on the PCT between Barrel Springs and Warner Springs in SD County. We had been warned by a couple of hikers of an upcoming herd of 50 cows or so protected by Bull with an overload of testosterone..., and so when we saw them we kept a good 1/4 mile of grassy meadow between us and the group with a good sized rock outcropping always within running reach..., and it worked out. Later however, we met another group of 3 who got chased up on top of a rock that was almost too big to get on top of but almost not big enough to keep them out of reach of the little monster who was pawing the ground, lowering his head and snorting and bellowing. The hikers were on top of the rock in a rather chilly wind for at least a half hour before the bull felt the need to go round up his cows again thus giving the marooned hikers an escape route.
One of the trapped hikers noted that he left the house that morning a vegetarian but was returning a confirmed steak eater. I understand.
Any advice out there for a City boy in cow country? Thanks Paul Longton