[pct-l] (no subject)

Linda/Hoosier Owl wrote: "I plan on starting the south end of the trail
around April 26.  Will I
need my ice axe for the beginning of the trail?"

Hoosier, you won't need your ice axe at the "beginning" - very probably -
until you get up into the San Jacinto mountains, specifically along the
north side of the Fuller Ridge, after Idyllwild.  This section of the trail
is very protected from direct sun and holds snow and ice for rather a long
time - and everything will depend on southern Calif precipitation in March.
We often get a significant amount of rain and snow at higher elevations at
that time - and we really won't know what the conditions will be like until,
oh, April.   I think it's a safe bet to pick up your axe & instep crampons
(if you're thinking about using them) at Idyllwild.

In '94, a relatively average precip year, we were led to believe that we
wouldn't need our ice axes/crampons from various sources at Idyllwild.  The
sources were WR ONG.  The trail was free of snow leading up to the ridge,
then as soon as we started the traverse to the north side all we could see
was snow - hard, steep, with no trail visible for much of the way.   I've
done my share of Sierra mountaineering and love my crampons & ice axe.  Not
having them made the traverse terrifying.  They would have made a 6-hour
traverse into probably a 2-hour traverse....

Keep checking the list & weather as best you can for current news, and good
luck.  BTW, don't miss the ADZPCTKO on April 23-24 at Lake Morena.  It's
good for settling the butterflies.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94