[pct-l] Hiking In So Cal

This is kind of off subject, but...
...I'm working on planning a trip this coming weekend, but with all these clippings from newspapers about the death toll of the mountain this year, I am quite scared of going into the snowy climes. Does anybody know anywhere near (within a couple hours) East County  LA that I can do a nice 30-50 mile backpacking trip this coming weekend that wouldn't involve snow? I always like a little elevation, but I can live with deserts so long as it isn't Joshua Tree (I've been out there far too many times recently).
Thanks
-mike