[pct-l] (Guest Post) Northern Washington in June

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Tony Nitz <pt@hikertrash.com>.
* Please use <mailto:pt@hikertrash.com> to reply to the sender.

Hi All,

I've been off the list and out of contact overseas for a couple of years. I was trying to complete the PCT in 2001, but was recalled to active duty with the Air Force in September, only 180 miles from Canada. I'm still supporting the war in Afghanistan, and am currently stationed in Kyrgyzstan (and still have very limited Internet access!). However, I'm finishing my duties and returning to the States in May. I am planning to hike the CDT this summer, starting from Glacier National Park, Montana, with two other hikers on about 16 June. It would be great to finish the PCT first, though.

Is it feasible to consider hiking the northern-most 180 miles of Washington during the first two weeks of June? I have done a great deal of winter backpacking. That includes some winter ski-packing in Alaska, and 600 miles of the AT, from Pennsylvania through Vermont, in February 1999. So, long-distance travel on snowshoes or crampons will not be an issue. Any ideas of avalanche danger in this area of Washington in June? Any ideas about what to expect about this year's snow pack? Any advice or help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
(Prehistoric Tony, or just "PT")