[pct-l] lurkers

I did four 14'ers in Colorado last August. I checked in my pack at the airport ticket counter. ( I live in Southern California) No problem.
I DID, however, pack my pack into a large duffel bag (a military "sea bag" that I bought at a surplus store). My regular luggage gets beat to hell and I didn't want my pack, with all it's loops, zips and straps, to be mangled by the baggage handlers.

There were a few tense hours in Albuquerque, when the lost my pack... they found it and sent it back, but I had to wait at the airport for a couple hours. They gave me about $35 worth of meal vouchers which were immediately spent at the bar on margaritas!

Maybe insure it. My gear is worth easily over a thousand bucks. Those couple of hours when it was lost required the intake of alcohol...

I was curious about security and the fact that I had a couple knives, and various other things that would turn a screener white if they found me trying to carry on my pack...

Don't pack fuel. White gas and propane canisters are a definite no-no. Buy it in San Diego.
If you don't need an ice axe, leave it behind...you won't need it till you get high in the Sierras (recent threads on this list have more info on this).

No bombs, machetes, rocket launchers (or other firearms), etc.

Checking it in was free. Shipping it would have cost a small fortune.

Regarding the trip from the airport to the terminus, maybe some of the local PCT hikers can provide a lift? I don't know if there are any buses that make it from San Diego airport to Campo. Maybe if you used various agencies (bus, Red Line, cab, thumb) you could get there, eventually.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m