[pct-l] ice axe, and shoes...

><snip>
>   Like I said, it's no big deal if you are going to be on snow for just a few
>hours. But if you are going to be on snow for several days, you are going to
be miserable in running shoes. <snip>

I thru-hiked the PCT in running shoes and I wasn't miserable in the
High Sierra.

<snip>

>  So are you going to carry them along with your running shoes just in case?
>Not that it's likely, but wouldn't you fell a bit sheepish if upon arriving at
>Forester Pass you had to ask some guy in boots to kick steps in hard snow for
>you or would you figure it's his trail angel duty?  David C

I agree it's difficult to kick steps in running shoes.  However, if
you're not planning on being in the very first group of hikers to go
through the High Sierra, there will be plenty of steps already made
for you -- as long as you are average height/step length.  We left
Kennedy Meadows on June 11, 2003, and we did not have to kick our own
steps anywhere, except occasionally b/c I needed shorter steps cause
I'm really short. Thanks to the first group through -- the ones who
made the steps and confirmed the possible!

Kimber (AKA French Fry)