[pct-l] RE: was Yaktrax Now Search and Rescue

Lonetrail wrote:
######I been reading these posts for about three years. I read about trail
maintenance, trail angles, but never about Search and Rescue. unfortunately
its
Mostly Recovery. They are mostly volunteers if any of you have a few bucks
you can
spare, think of the S&R people. Someday you may need them. If you live in
the
S. CA area I have some addresses you can send your check too...########

Search and Rescue Folks:
I had the good fortune to be rescued by a great bunch of guys and gals from
the Riverside California Search and Rescue after laying on the trail for
three days with a broken leg.

Just before dark the Search and Rescue team from Riverside, Calif. came and
got me. They took me down a very steep rocky trail on a Stokes Litter on the
backside of the mountain to Hemet Ca.  This was a miserable narrow, steep
rocky trail for the Riverside Rescue team to maneuver me down off the
mountain.  With three or four people on each side of the liter one or more
would constantly loose their footing and fall off the trail getting very
scratched up in the process.

I also have a son involved in the Seattle Mountain Search & Rescue. He has
been a member for the past twenty five years and I agree with Lonetrail, if
you have extra bucks give a donation to your local S & R.

Cheers,

Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge