[pct-l] Yaktrax

Ho

I purchased a pair of Yaktrax first time out I tried them on Mt Baden Powell.
The snow was about 6 inches at the base of Mt. I progress up the mountain
mostly switch back the snow got deeper up to three to four feet. There was about
four snow falls that year. I had ice, thaw, snow, freeze, crush up to four
layers of repeat ice, thaw, freeze, snow and crust. There were areas were I would
not break the crust and it was wind swept. In other areas I would go down
three to four feet. A park ranger passed me up with good Crampons. He knew what I
was using and said they were worthless. He told me to buy a pair of Kong
light weight 21 oz crampons. He left me saying he would post hole for me. I got to
about 200 feet from the peak and stopped to check my Yaktrax they go sucked
of in the pot holes. I had to terminate my hike and got back down the mountain.
I had a shovel and rode it down crossing each switch backs around three
thousand feet. Great fun.

There was a man killed this winter with a pair of cheap crampon, I don't know
if they were Yaktrax but it sounded like what he had.  I just had a friend
killed last week in the mountains he did not have on crampons tomorrow I'm going
to his funeral.

I been reading these posts for about three years. I read about trail
maintenance, trail angles, but never about Search and Rescue. unfortunately its
mostly.
 Recovery. They are mostly volunteers if any of you have a few bucks you can
spare, think of the S&R people. Someday you may need them. If you live in the
S. CA area I have some addresses you can send your check too.

Lonetrail