[pct-l] cold weather clothes

> Which sections of the trail will we need our cold weather
> clothes??

I only have experience in the sierras and the southern cascades, so I
can only speak to those sections.  I guess the answer to your
question mainly depends on what you consider "cold".  There are
basically two types of gear that I can think of that would be
impacted by "cold" weather:
1.  sleeping bag
2.  clothing

As far as sleeping goes, expect it to get down to the 20's at night
in the seirra, so bring a bag that will keep you warm at that temp.

As far as clothing goes, it depends on how comfortable you want to be
and how much risk you are willing to undertake.  It has been known to
snow in every month of the year in the Sierra, so the temps *can* be
that low while hiking.  however, its usually warmer than that during
the day.  in addition, much of the "high sierra" is above 10,000 ft
which is often chilly but sunny.

In 2002, I hiked the high sierra with only a t-shirt, a patagonia
capiline zip-tee, shorts, and a thin rain jacket/pant.  I was never
cold while hiking during the day, but the mornings and late evenings
were uncomfortable but not dangerous.  I undertook some risk going
this light; if the weather took a turn for the worse, I would have
had to bail and possibly worse.  this is an extreme example of 'going
lght".

In 1998, I was a bit more prudent when hiking the same section.  That
year, I carried a t-shirt, a capiline zip-tee, a fleece jacket,
capiline bottoms, a parka and rain pants.  I was plenty warm that
year, but also lucky because it rained 10 out of 12 days, which gave
my rain pants and parka lots of use.

One suggestion is to throw an extra fleece or parka in your drift
box.  If you decide you are too cold, you can always start carrying
it.

Also, be sure to get people's opinion of the Mojave and the Northern
Cascades.

peace,
dude