[pct-l] sun protection

Well, steve, I don't even like looking at something white in strong
sunlight, let alone wearing it under my face.  Your eyes also get more
sensitive to glare as you get older.  For instance, I find it much easier
to read a map with small detail when I have a good sun hat on and a light
color shirt, but not white. If a map has too much white on it, I can not
read it well in strong sunlight.  As I understand it, the more you protect
your eyes from glare, even a little coming from white rocks, the more
likely you can deal with glare as you get older, and the better your night
vision will remain.  I may have walked on a few too many glaciers.

I do not like talking to somebody or looking at them in the Sierras if they
have a white shirt on.  I also feel that photos of people turn out better
if they are not wearing white in the Sierras, but do take off your hat in
some of the photos -otherwise it is just likely to be a strong shadow.

I am not sure how much cooler a white shirt would be from an off white
shirt.  Don't ever remember being really hot in the Sierras, I remember
being cold a lot of the time from the end of March to and through April,
and some of may and june.  Had 5 snow storms in April.  Seems like the heat
was more a matter of the material worn and how tight it is as well as the
humidity.

As an Artist, I know that I can not wear a white or bright colored shirt
when I am painting outside in sun.  The colors are reflected too much into
the canvas or paper.  If I have a canvas, I tone it immediately and try to
find some light  shade.  For watercolor, an umbella(white) is necessary.

On my three Mexico to Canada trips, I wore a light blue and a coral supplex
shirt.  Ditto pants: supplex kakai-  long sleeved shirt and long pants.  A
billed helmet or large billed hat.  Got burned on the hands and face and
neck only(also often walked with the sleeves unbottoned to keep the sun off
the tops of my hands).

Joanne