[pct-l] sun protection

I haven't had any problems with the reflected light of a white shirt, and
my face was still pale when I got to KM.  I wore a big sun hat.  I didn't
have to use sunscreen
in SoCal but with all the snow in the Sierras, I had to use it on my face.
The reflected light off the snow was a much bigger deal than that off my
shirt.  I didn't wear shades in SoCal, but wore then alot on the passes in
the Sierra.

I've been told that a regular, cotton T-shirt is about SPF 15.  I haven't
heard a normal number for a polyester shirt, but I would suppose that it
would be about the same.  Unless you are hypersensitive to the sun, I
would guess that SPF 15 would be fine.

Suge

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Steve Setzer wrote:

> I like white shirts because they tend to be cooler.  For example, a black
> shirt would be hotter than hell so I figured a white shirt is just the
> opposite.  I never thought about the reflection back to the face though. I
> haven't had any problems with it in the past and I've almost always worn
> white shirts.  I don't mind the dirt. My sun hat has black on the
> underside so that will eleminate glare.
>
> I guess if I have a light color shirt it will generally have the same
> effect as a white shirt but maybe not with as much glare.
>
> So does anyone know about sun protection of base layer shirts?  My guess
> is that they'll work just fine and its not necessary to get a Supplex
> nylon shirt or a shirt with built in SPF but let me know if you think
> otherwise. I'd hate to figure that out the hard way after three weeks in
> the desert.
>
> thanks,
> steve
>
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Joanne Lennox wrote:
>
> > I noticed that both of the shirts that you are considering are white.  You
> > can get a lot of reflection up into your face and eyes with a white shirt,
> > which are less protected.  If you need a hat for sun protection, I would
> > not wear a white shirt.  This is especially true in the Sierras and on
> > snow.  May not be so important for a few days or hours, but it will be for
> > the longer run.  With my skin, and if you want to save sun damage to the
> > skin, don't wear a white shirt and look for a hat that does not have a
> > white underside, saves on glare.

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University