[pct-l] Re: San Felipe Hills alternate route?

In a message dated 1/23/04 5:23:11 PM, Bighummel@aol.com writes:

<< The first edition of the guidebook took us '70's hikers along Volcan
Mountain
or just straight up San Felipe Valley Rd.  I believe that I walked along
Volcan Mountain and found no water other than a small cow pond with lively
cow
pies floating.  We poured the water through a bandana to filter the big
stuff,
then boiled it and scraped off the foam, and then let it cool enough to put
in
the iodine tablets.  Finally, after an hour or more of waiting in 90 degree
plus heat and no shade, we drank the still warm, light brown water!  No ill
effects for either of us.  Thus was the state of the art of water filtering
in 1977.

Sounds like something out of "Fear Factor". Of course, they would have used
the water to wash down the sterilized cow pies! David C