[pct-l] Whitney Scoop

> The increasing number of hiker on Mt. Whitney has caused another
> mountain "Human Waste" The Forest Service has proposed an
> alternative "Pack it out." The existing nonproductive Solar System
> Toilets will be yanked out.

Its about time they started doing this.  they have been doing this on
Shasta for at least 5 or 6 years now.  I think its great.  It not
only will cut down waste on the mountain, it will also probably
reduce the number of people willing to climb whitney because they are
disgusted by the thought of carrying out their own feces.

They should think of dozens of things that all but the true outdoors-
lover would be bothered by, so that they reduce the amount of traffic
up there.  One thing I'd do is institute some sort of fitness
requirement.  I can't think of any "PC" way to implement such a
requirement, but its rediculous to give a permit to some guy who is
easily 100+ lbs overweight and has absolutely NO hope of reaching the
summit, when there are 100's of fit and healthy people who are dying
for a permit and have been applying for years with no luck.

Of course, this will never happen and I am only half-way serious, but
the huge quantity of absolute bafoons on Whitney is astounding.
Seriously, its like the Grizwalds x 200.  They all show up with their
kids who have never been away from the playstation for longer that it
takes to go to the fridge, and their "expert" brother-in-law who
thinks he knows everything about hiking/climbing because he
read "Into Thin Air" sixteen times.

If you want my full rant on this topic, I posted it back in September
and you can find it here:
http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/0309/msg00110.html

peace,
dude