[pct-l] Hostels along the way

Sounds like things will be alot better this summer.  HWY 138 is a
really critical stage, with a lot of hot hiking from Agua Dulce, and a
blazing section to come (though one of my favorites).

Just for correction,
I got about 2 minutes of rest before finding out that I had to go to
work.  I did the work right away, got my water, and left,
missing the rest and
shade that I had come there for in the first place.  Mr.
Skaggs had left
when I was starting work, but I didn't think that I could honestly skip
out after agreeing to it. I just didn't want to stay there any longer,
and so left when debt for the water was paid.

Suge

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, bob mayon wrote:

> I just read what suge had to go through in the middle of a mojave afternoon just to get a little water and a place to sit in the shade for two hours...Even though he got light duty moving rose clippings for 30 minutes before making his escape , i think I wouldn't have waited that long, and made a run for the gates soon as the guards wern't looking...but at least he got 2 hours of sitting in the shade and a bit of water before being required to work....I'm sure other thru hikers, shall we say, wern't so lucky..but like suge says...that's for others to bad mouth...I mean say..         Seriously though....I wasn't here last year, but I'm sure that a lot of hikers worked here when they arrived..  Mr Skaggs plan of having a hikerstown for hikers and built by hikers here on his property may have been well intented, but I and others let him know that it's not practical at all..After walking 500 miles from Mexico, and having desert to cross the next day...You can't ask them to work while they're here... He gets it now...anyway all the construction is done, mr skaggs is rarely around, and I'm here managing his property now...Any hiker that is a guest here will not work, and not be charged for staying over...You have my word ...Bringing up what happened last year only makes things worse...Jack knew this is a critcal place on the trail, and it really is...That's why I'm trying so hard get it's good reputaion back....Good luck to all...no matter what trail your on...Bob Mayon

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University
831 East Third Street