[pct-l] South-bound questions

I reread your post,and oneof the main problems that you will have is
getting to the trailhead from Seattle.  It is much easier to hitch out from
a trailhead than it is to start from Sea-Tac Airport and get to Hart,s
Pass, Rainey Pass etc.

The guide and the traffic will be northbound.  I have used the guide going
southbound but it is frustrating and sometimes difficult to envision in the
opposite direction.  I ended up just using the maps, because the
descriptions were so useless southbound.  All the thruhiker and long
distance travelers willl be going northbound for the most part; if you were
going north you would sometimes have company and be hiking with others;
this is unlikely to happen southbound.  Also if you get to know people
onthe northbound there is a good chance of making a contact that will be
able to transport you from Rainey Pass.  (It would be even easier if you
hiked back to Stehikin and took the ferry, a lot of people from Seattle
visit Stehikin and you could probably find one in Chelen at the ferry
parking lot, or find somebody on the Ferry).

So why not start from Oregon and go Northbound?  You could fly into
Portland, and there will probably be some contact from jPortland.  The
Amtrak Train goes to Eugene, then over to Klamath Falls.  YOu could take a
bus down I -5 from Eugene,maybe get droppped off at Callahans (on I-5 and
about 1 mile from the trail.)

Joanne