[pct-l] South-bound questions

I did not want to cross the border with my horse(involves a coggins test
less than a month old, health certificat, vet examine at the border) so I
did a loop going up the Paysayten river and hooking to the PCT 3 miles from
the border at Castle Pass.  I send this discription to another horse owner
, and have cut and pasted fromthat post:

I avoided the crossing by making a loop and traveling with another person.
We left one trailer at Rainey pass where we exited, and drove  the other to
the robinson Creek Trailhead(informal campsites, good water, no grass,
hitching rail), just outside of Mazama.  There is a ranger station on the
road to the trailhead and we left a package of two days of feed there and
the ranger later transported it to the cabin at Harts Pass.  We rode up and
over Robinson Pass, down into the Paysayten River to the "airport" cabin
(22 miles - no real water at the cabin, lots of grass); then airport over
Dead Lake Pass into the Chuchwactee Creek , up to Frosty Pass, over to
Castle Creek on the PCT,where we camped and then rode to the border and
back -6 miles, about 23 total);Pct south to Hopkins and Woody Pass to a
camp at "delicious spring" (good water, and very annoying deer that kept us
awake all night -about 16 miles, but didn't know about the basins to the
south, if they had water); thence to Hart,s Pass where there is a very good
, but unseen basin with good grass and water just down the road (NE)from
the cabin .  A fire went through there this year and I don't know what is
left but seems like some of the best grass on the trail is in burned areas.
the next day camped in a small basin on the hillside beyond Glacier Pass
(some water, little grass, go uphill to a second bench, lots of people on
the bench near the trail).  Reached Rainey Pass the next day (hitching
posts on North side at end of road and just beyond bathrooms, not visible
from parking lot).

If you started at rainy pass and went north, you could backtrack and exit
from Harts/slate Pass - there is a connector from the PCT at that point to
the Robinson Pass Trail (about 4 miles to get to the Robinson Pass trail
and maybe 10 over the pass and down to the trailhead).  Would save a day or
two - the terrain from Rainy Pass to Hart's Pass is pretty rough in places
and a perpetual problem with the tread crawling downhill and being blocked
by rockfall from above.

Joanne