[pct-l] Bottle holder

On The PCT this summer, I noticed that Wookie and Island Mama had water
bottles hanging from each side of their shoulders and attached to their
shoulder straps.  They were about one liter gatorade bottles that have a
strong indentation about a third of the way down.  they had tied a single
piece of bungie elastic about1/4 to1/8 inch thick to small openings in a
piece of webbing attached to the shoulder strap.  The bungie elastic was
just tied and to get a drink they gave the elastic a slight tug pulled the
bottle off and used it.

When the elastic is in the right place on the shoulder strap and on the
bottle, it is held very securely and does not flop around.  I have found it
is much more comfortable than wearing a bottle on my waist when walking.
Wish I had looked a little closer to see what kind of bottle they were
using.

Not so good if you are on steep snow and want to make a self arrest.  But I
think in any ordinary hiking circumstances the bottles would stay put,
barring a fall.

Goforth