[pct-l] Whitney Question

I'm planning a PCT/JMT hike this summer, starting at Walker Pass on the PCT about mid-August. Plans call for meeting my JMT partners at Trail Crest trail junction - where the trail from Whitney Portal comes in. I'm assuming they'll be exhausted after that 9 mile, 5500 climb and will need to camp before summiting Whitney the next day.

Query 1: is camping allowed (or possible) at or near Trail Crest junction? If so, where would you suggest?

Query 2: I'm told the last reliable water is the two tarns at 11,600 feet between Guitar Lake and Trail Crest.  How far is it from Guitar Lake to the tarns - or from the tarns to Trail Crest. It's a hell of an elevation gain from the lake to Trail Crest (3100 feet in only 2.9 miles).

Query 3: Are there any other water sources at or closer to Trail Crest?

Thanks,

Wandering Bob