[pct-l] RE: (& d-o-g-s)

 I too am on the fence & have found this mildly entertaining this go-around.
I had a golden retriever for 7-1/2 years & had to put him down about 2 years
ago due to cancer.  He was a great trail dog for day hikes shorter backpack
trips & was well trained but I just don't think I know I'd never take him on
a thru hike.  He was very muscular for a golden, about 80 lbs. and not
overweight.  We were car camping in the Wallowas, he was chained via an
approx. 20 ft. chain to a post at our campsite and we're all sitting around
a campfire.  A buck wandered into camp, Brando bolted after it and snapped
the clasp on a collar that according to the specs was well within tolerances
for a dog of his size.  I hate to think what would have happened had it been
a bear as Brando would have only wanted to "play" with it!!

Anyway, all this talk of dogs & trails brought back lots of good memories of
a great friend for me, so all in all it was a fine subject!

David

:
  :As for my parenthetical subject:
  :(Even more than the "bear" e-mail topic...I really
  :cringe when I see posts with the subject "dogs."  I'm
  :on the fence on that one and after several years
  :around these lists, I have had my fill of the debate.
  :Not that I care if others want to discuss it...but I
  :ended up reading some of the recent dog posts, and to
  :my surprise, I was quite entertained (in a good way).
  :I think that's what keeps me subscribed - this is a
  :good list.  Thanks everyone.)