[pct-l] Need Advice: Video Camera on Thru-Hike (& d-o-g-s)

I need some advice from others who have carried video
cameras on a thru-hike or long section hike.  I'm
primarily interested in general feedback about:

- Was it worthwhile?
- Tips to make it easier (e.g. dealing w/ batteries)
- Types of cameras/film to avoid/use.
- Realistic weight of to expect of the whole setup.
- Anything else I should be asking you.  :-)

As for my parenthetical subject:
(Even more than the "bear" e-mail topic...I really
cringe when I see posts with the subject "dogs."  I'm
on the fence on that one and after several years
around these lists, I have had my fill of the debate.
Not that I care if others want to discuss it...but I
ended up reading some of the recent dog posts, and to
my surprise, I was quite entertained (in a good way).
I think that's what keeps me subscribed - this is a
good list.  Thanks everyone.)