[pct-l] My Karma ran over your Dogma

In a message dated 1/13/04 11:16:38 AM, rubberchuckie@yahoo.com writes:

<< Living life is a risk of death too.

-Chuckie >>

You know, I think you make a good point about the Karma thing
  Whenever wandering thru a crevasse field or climbing a steep rock face I
like to shout out "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," the famous phrase
of Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now.
 Remember the narrative about the colonel who cleared the beach using napalm
so that he could go surfing? While he was surfing, sniper bullets were raking
the water all around him but he got away unscathed. Everyone else was scared
out of their wits but he showed no fear whatsoever. It went something like
"here was a guy who had an aura about him. He knew somehow that he was immune to
death in war. Others could get shot and killed on their first or last day in
Vietnam but not him. He could be shot at from point blank range and not get hit.
Bombs could fall killing all around him but he would survive. It was as
though he had some magic protective shield or a squadron of protective guardian
angels keeping him from harm. And he knew it."

 So stupidly or not, due to the many close calls I've had in mountaineering
that is my attitude: I have a guardian angel who bitches to God about all the
overtime but she still comes thru and for whatever reason I don't have a clue.
I just accept on faith that somebody must be watching over me.  I suppose it
could be construed by skeptics as survivor's arrogance. Oh well. It's worked so
far

 Don't know if this is a good post or not. I know it has little to do with
the PCT but, like Mr. Muir and Mr. Abbey I like mixing philosophy and psychology
with hiking. Gear advice, to me, gets a little dry sometimes
  David C