[pct-l] re: ice axes

Trekking poles are excellent for helping you keep your balance and reducing
the probability of a fall. However, once you fall, they are utterly useless
and since you've got both hands busy holding them, you won't have the time
or ability to draw an ice axe and self arrest. Use your common sense! "Do I
feel lucky?" is not a good question to ask yourself facing a snow or
ice-covered slope.

1st: EVALUATE THE ROUTE across it - do you have prior footsteps or packed
trail to follow or must you chop steps or a ledge to walk on? Are you going
to have to edge with your boots across it? Are your shoes even capable of
edging or kicking steps?

2nd: EVALUATE THE ANGLE of the slope you are traversing. (how steep is it?).
Steep strongly favors ice axe- use it as a pole on the uphill side.

3rd: EVALUATE THE RUN-OUT at the bottom (what will I hit if I fall and slide
into it?) If it's potentially lethal - cliff, rocks, trees - you can't
afford the fall ; use your axe.

Ice axes have other redeeming qualities beside self arrest and belaying
anchors.

1. They satisfy USFS requirements for a fire axe
2. Chop steps or ledges into hard surfaces - snow, ice, packed dirt.
3. Balance tool on steep slope, replacing trekking pole.
4. Digging tool around camp
5. Support pole, albeit short, for tarp or tent
6. Excellent deadman for tent anchor
7. Very good defensive weapon if needed - even against bears (well, better
than rocks, sticks, or your fists)

Wandering Bob