[pct-l] hardest climb? / Belden

Belden is my home stomping grounds.
The Indian Springs diversion is no longer. You can take either trail at this point. But that burnt section of Indian springs now has plenty of sticky thorns. So I really would 'stick' to the real PCT trail in this case.

FYI: Taking Indian springs to the PCT and then back to Belden on the PCT is a nice 26 mile warm up hike, just remmber gaters for the Indian Spring trip unless you like thorns!
-Mt Goat-

Kent Ryhorchuk <kentr-lists@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
The alternate route north out of Belden - the Indian Springs trail
(2002). I'm not sure if the normal PCT route has been restored yet, but
I think that myself, Cathy and another person we hiked it with were the
only people that took the alternate route anyways. It was very hot,
completely burnt up, and ripped up by motorcycles. We followed it
because some signs indicated that the PCT was "closed" for
reconstruction due to landslides.

If you do decide to take this godforsaken trail, my advice is that there
is a decent spring about half way to Indian Springs 20 yards off the
trail. You will hear it and see a spur trail to it from a switchback. I
drank my only two quarts of water just to get there and I would have
been VERY thirsty by the time I got to Indian Springs without it. That
spring and Indian Springs are the only water until you get to Cold
Spring.

Better yet, you can join me and Cathy on the normal PCT route this year
- closed or not!

Kent.