[pct-l] How much food a day do you need?

Hey Mountain Goat

Trying to figure out how much you need to eat isn't as easy as you
would think.  There are many variables which influence your calorie
intake requirements (or hunger level) on any given day.  For me,
temperature affected my hunger more than anything else.  When daytime
highs were over 100 degrees, I ate much less than average.  When
daytime temperatures were below 40 degrees, i ate much more than
average.

My Profile
- 2003 thru-hiker
- 33 yr old male
- 140 lbs
- vegetarian
- normal metabolism = "rabbit-like"

My Experience
- maintained 140 lbs prior to reaching onyx
- lost 10 lbs between onyx & kennedy meadows (giardia)
- gained back 10 lbs between km and washington
- lost 5 lbs in the 2 weeks prior to reaching manning park (very cold
weather)

Normal day
- Breakfast: 800-900 cal
- Midmorning snack: 600-700 cal
- Lunch: 800-1000 cal
- Midafternoon snack: 600-700 cal
- Late afternoon snack: 200-300 cal
- Dinner: 800-1000 cal
- Midnight snack: 200-300 cal
Average = 4,450 cal

As far as trying to figure out weight, 2000 calories per pound is a
good goal.  I made my own dehydrated food and was able get 2500-3000
calories per pound fairly easily.  Anything over 3000 calories per
pound started to taste really oily.

If you want to dig into your nutritional requirements and how your
body processes food, take a look at a book called "Endurance Sports
Nutrition."  I found it very helpful.

-Teflon