[pct-l] let's fish

1) Line tied to a small aluminum pudding can, wrap it around the can,
swivel on the end with lure, whirl the end and toss, turn the can toward
the direction of the cast and it will pull off the end of the can just like
a spinning reel.  The length of the cast is proportional to the weight of
the spinning lure.  Outfit weights about 2 oz. Fishing line has a
"direction" you need to wwrap it from the right end or it tangles badly.
When you tie the line to the can, be sure to wrap and tie tightly and tape
over the knot, then wrap outward from there(otherwise the cast will pull
the line right off the can).  I keep one finger on the line on the can and
release it as I cast.  Also, you might jam a circular piece of foam into
the can so that if you do toss it with the cast you can either wait for the
wind to bring it back, or swim for it. I have also used salmon eggs and
marshmellow, and a floater with a leader and fly, but these are much harder
to cast.

2) catch them with your hands: works well in stream and shallow areas with
over hanging banks and rocks where fish hide.  They will go to a hiding
place and feel very secure.  Watch where the fish go when you approach a
stream or pond, after a while you just know where to go to find the hiding
places.  They will not usually spook when you put your hands gently around
them.  the trick is to figure which end is which.  You eventually want to
get a good grip just behind the operculum (gills) because it is the only
place that you can get a good grip.  I strip down when I see a fish and
have really amazed a number of people, when I tossed a 12 inch trout at
their feet.  I have spent many happy hours pitting myself against the fish
and teaching others to do this.  Even if you never catch anything, it is
great fun. The sierras in June is the best place.

I have used both of these methods from Patagonia to Alaska, and extended a
number of trips by catching fish. UNfortunately, there was rarely time on
the thruhike and in my riding.

Goforth