[pct-l] weather log

<< This topic may have floated around some time ago but I was unable to find
it.  Does anyone know of an online journal that documents daily weather
conditions on a thruhike.  I'm mainly interested in high and low
temperatures,  I'm trying to figure out how few clothes I will need to carry
starting at Campo and what might need to be changed when I enter the Sierra.
  I'm planning on starting around the middle of April.  >>

As has already mention mentioned, the southern CA region has a tremendous
amount of temperature diversity in April, May, and even June. In the same
given spot as low as 2,500 feet (such as in May of '95 and '98) you can have
below freezing with snow falling, and then well over 100 degrees on the same
date a year later, or a few days later in the same year.  I would carry
enough for full winter conditions, but expect the heat of summer with hours
at a time of direct sunlight more often, especially below the forest zones
(which  start at an average elevation of 5,000 feet, with variations). Above
that, extreme heat becomes uncommon and canopy gives you frequent breaks
from the sunshine. In most years, when you drop into the Agua Dulce region
it's getting later in the spring/early summer,  and you generally have a
break from the potential cold snaps until after the Walker Pass area
(approaching the Kennedy meadows region). Once you hit the high Sierra, your
temp range in June will be similar to that of a cold spell in late April/May
in the southern CA mtns, so your gear is about the same. Typically 60's and
70's during the day with 20's at night. Once you get past the
Yosemite/Sonora Pass region and into July, below freezing nights become very
infrequent, although be prepared for it anyway. I found that in Oregon in
August, we were getting frosts or freezes about every 7-10 mornings. By
September in Washington, assume atleast some snow with the temps
occasionally in the 20's or lower, especially toward the second half of the
month. But it's different every year. In September, '98 I never experienced
32 degrees or lower in Washington, and no snow. It was sunny and in the 60's
and 70's almost everyday. In 2000 the story was completely different. So in
conclusion, my clothing gear didn't change all that much from beginning to
end.

wc