[pct-l] Cathedral Lake bears

Hi Listers!  I just re-enabled my PCT list mail after a lengthy rest, to see
what's happening and get focussed on the 2004 ADZ!  Stopped the email last
summer to hike the JMT with a friend that I met on the AT in '02, and never
turned it back on.  Now I get at least 90 percent spam, so need to get back on the
list to dilute the garbage with some good stuff.

We had a great JMT hike in late July, carried bear canisters and saw no bears
at all.  Then again, we didn't camp at Tuolumne Meadows or near Kearsarge
Pass.

At risk of re-opening a thread that has apparently run pretty long already, I
feel the bear canisters are worth their weight in these areas where we've
trained the bears to look to us as a food source.  I sleep better knowing my food
will still be there in the morning and won't further the Yogis' education,
and it might actually "Save a Bear."  I do agree, the in-charge folks could
still do a lot more to instill some fear into the bear population for their own
good.

TrailDad  (PCT '99, JMT '01, AT '02, JMT '03)
_____