[pct-l] Failed Bag/Tent Combination

A lot of the through hikers in '02 concerned about Washington. I got a ride
to the Portland REI from Cascade Locks and ran into a half dozen other
through hikers all buying new, warmer and waterproof gear. Most everyone
was prepared for rain and cold already and, I bet if we all knew then what
we know now, much money would have been saved. It wasn't that bad, but
every year can be different.

The later in the season you are in Washington, the more likely you are to
have rain. I spent the month of September in Washington. I suppose people
who finished before me, in August, likely had more sunny weather in
Washington than I. It rained and things got damp, but there would always be
some sun to air out my bag during lunch or a prolonged break. Even when it
snowed my last day on September 29, I was fine using an REI 20F 750-fill
down sleeping bag and a Go-lite tarp.

FYI: Typically, I sleep cold. However, after gaining 15 pounds of weight
(mostly fat), I was sleeping much warmer by Washington. In other words, you
mileage (warmth) may vary.

Tangent