[pct-l] Umbrella Problem Solved? Plus water carry idea.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I have come up with a solution for
using two hiking poles and an umbrella.

In a nut shell it simple involves using extremely light weight/cheap foam
pipe installation as an umbrella shaft holder (cut to length so the umbrella
comes to my forehead level - I still wear a hat and drape).  Then I attach the
umbrella underside framing to the foam tube (Velcro strap around tube as
attaching point (excellent in not raising up the foam tube when pulled hard as when a
gust of wind would hit you) with a mini bungie cord (.25 oz.).

The foam tube is attached to my Zrest back pad inside the pack using a couple
of Velcro straps around the foam tube (slits cut in pad for Velcro straps).
The tent stuffed in the bottom of my pack, then food, then sleeping bag on top
keeps the back pad/foam tube tightly in place.  Plus the pack top is tight
around the foam tube sticking up.  Well, don't laugh.  It works great in the
living room.

No system is perfect and this one has some minor drawbacks; foam tube takes
up some room in pack and the umbrella is away from your head a little, so the
front face coverage is okay, but not excellent.  The real and side coverage is
excellent.

2nd Subject -- For When You Need To Carry More Water: Check out the Cascade
Designs Platypus 1 liter tote (www.platypushydration.com) -- 5.5 ounces each.
I carry 2 liters of bottled water on my belly pack (one is actually a filter
bottle), but anymore makes it too heavy around the waist.  Also, I try to keep
heavy water off my back, so I am always looking for other alternatives.

I bought 2 totes (REI) and carry them opposite cross my chest so they hang on
my sides.  Very comfortable and efficient. They have net pockets that I carry
small Platypus containers for Gatorade drinks -- a quick electrolyte shot.
There are other carrying options on the site, but I like these best for
durability and comfort.  Some people may not like this idea, because of the extra
straps across your shoulders along with your normal backpack shoulder straps and
the extra weight of the tote.  Again, nothing is perfect.  By the way you
might want to consider wide-mouth containers for easier filling with the totes,
instead of the containers that come with it.

Again, too much verbiage.  Thanks, Switchback