[pct-l] packs

In a message dated 12/22/03 10:13:17 AM, Steven.Setzer@Colorado.EDU writes:

<< I think my base pack weith will be around
15 pounds so with a full load of food and/or water I could expect my total
pack weight to be 25 pounds or more (I'm thinking of long waterless
stretches or long re-supplies).  So this is pushing the limits of a
frameless pack.  >>

I wouldn't say 25 pounds is pushing the limit of a frameless pack as long as
it has a waist belt.
 You are right about tossing that 8 pound pack. Do they still actually
manufacture such heavy packs? I don't think you will find a consensus on what pack
to use, just that it should be a lot lighter than 8 pounds. I have a Kelty
something or other (the memory is going I guess) that is a cheaper version of the
Cloud and am satisfied with it because as was said, it is very dismantable and
I love the ditty bag pocket that can be used to put BIG bags of Lay's potato
chips (okay, crumbs after a while, not chips -- they still taste as good) and
half a dozen Krispy Kremes for that good old 9 calories per gram of fat energy
when pushing up a 5000' hill
 I know people that have Ospreys and like them very much. They are good
looking, too. The packs, not the people. Although Alyce IS kind of cute. Can't
comment on the rest mentioned. Most people I backpack with are still stuck with
their 7 pound Gregory packs. They marvel at my 19 pound base weight and scoff
when I tell them my weight is actually considered to be on the heavy side by
thru hike standards. They tend to view such people as irresponsible. I tell them
that they are innovative, experienced people who have dared to break the mold.
Hopefully they will someday read some of Jardines stuff to get a "different"
perspective. I think I just thought of a last minute Christmas gift!