[pct-l] Good Ice Axe

> Can anyone recommend some good ice axes.

My recommendation is to get the lightest one you can fine.  The
Cassin Ghost and the Camp ice axes are both extremely light.  The
perceived downside of most lightweight ice axes is that they almost
all have an aluminum head, which is not as strong as a steel head.
This should not be a problem for a PCT hike because the snow/ice
should not be so hard as to cause the head of your axe to be
ineffective.  This is typically only a problem on glacier and there
are no glaciers or even permanent snowfields on the PCT.
Furthermore, if its is a normal to light snow year, you may not even
need an ice axe.

> Also, how about Altimeters, is there much use for one on the PCT ?.
Yes, but its not mandatory.  As others have mentioned, it is very
handy to have an altimeter when you are navigating the trail and
wondering exactly how much further it is to the top of a pass or the
next stop or whatever.  Its really more of a convenience than a
necessity, and reliance on them for definite route-
finding/navigation is not recomended because all altimeters require
constant callibration (at least twice daily to ensure accuracy).
They are also worthless if a storm or front blows in or if the
barametric pressure otherwise changes too much.

I carry a Casio watch that has an altimeter and it is nice to be
able to look at it and tell what the altitude is.  If you can take
one and its not extra weight (meaning its already build into a
watch/compass/gps/whatever), then I would recommend taking one.  But
I wouldn't say to go buy one if you weren't planning on it.

peace,
dude