[pct-l] Sock Choice

Socks, like shoes/boots, are a rather personal item - many different
opinions and choices. You need to do what is best for your feet. Be sure to
get shoes sized right for the socks you use.

Some folks have really warm feet when they hike - even in wet, cold
conditions. Others don't. The socks are meant to transmit moisture, keep
feet warm, cushion, and take up space in the shoe. They will get dirty which
shortens their life (and really can cause blisters). I have heard of some
folks getting a really large shoe and then wearing extra heavy socks in the
Sierras when there is snow.

For most of the trail, I wore a thin liner plus a mid-weight sock I happen
to like the Ultimax. In rainy, cold Washington (one year), I tried the
Gore-tex type socks. They worked fine to keep my feet dry, but I could only
wear a very light liner sock inside because of space - and my feet were
really cold. Wish I had a larger shoe.

If you are wearing running shoes, they breath much better than leather
boots, so I could get away with the heavier socks all of the time, even in
the desert. And realize, although it really does get hot, you also can
experience cold weather in the desert too.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net